- Brief Statement about why the nominee deserves the award. (200 to 300 word limit. Go in more detail on other bulleted items)
Letters of Support
Letter of support from an administrator (Principal, Curriculum Coordinator, Superintendent, etc.) that addresses nominee’s impact on teaching and learning.
- Additional letter of support from a co-worker, parent, student, administrator, etc.
Artifact 1 - Mystery Skype
One of my favorite ways to use technology is to connect! Even more meaningful than reading or seeing something online is being able to interact with real people from whom we can learn. Our favorite way to connect so far has been through Mystery Skype. Last school year, my class connected with over 20 different classrooms around the country. This year we are connecting internationally, completing our first international connection this past October when we Skyped with a class of students in England. Aside from the "neat" factor (and more importantly) Mystery Skype teaches my students so many skills in such an efficient way. The students are using critical thinking skills, proper oral speaking, how to safely communicate online, map reading skills, logic, and so much more. I began using Mystery Skype as a way for students to learn how to read maps, but it has blossomed into so much more. The students are seeing the world in a more tangible way - there are faces and voices to tie to the places about which we've learned. These students are growing up in a global society, so connecting them with their peers from this early age will, no doubt, be of value to them as they continue to learn and grow.
Artifact 2 - MakerSpace
One of my more recent additions to my classroom has been a Maker Space. I was introduced to Maker Spaces through the Discovery Educator Network and immediately fell in love with the concept of turning students into makers!
Technology in my classroom
Respond to the following (These should be text based, but may have links, images, etc. to help enhance each response):
- Describe how the nominee develops and facilitates authentic learning opportunities for learners. (250 word limit)
- Describe how the nominee evaluates the effectiveness of technology in the learning process. (250 word limit.)
- What methods or resources does the nominee use to continuously improve professional practice? What impact does this have on the classroom/school? (250 word limit)